Del Val Miata Club

Serving Miata Owners in the Delaware Valley Region

2013 NC Temp Tire

• March 24, 2016 6:52 PM
    Message # 3904370
    Deleted user

I want to get a spare for my car. Piece of mind on trips goes a long way. What donut fits my car? Can anyone help? Also, any  options or suggestions on Luggage rack ( on trunk)? Saw a spare kit on here when I joined, but was sold before I did inquire about this.

Thanks, Kurt

• March 25, 2016 9:40 AM
    Reply # 3905120 on 3904370
    Gail

Hi Kurt,

Check Moss Miata for luggage racks.  They have some very cool removable and permanent ones.

Also, re your donut tire package...don't forget to mention your year and model Miata as that could make a difference. Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions for you/

Best,

Gail Wagner, Midstate Miata Club of NY/Ithaca-area Rep

Member, DelVal Miata Club

• March 25, 2016 9:44 AM
    Reply # 3905124 on 3904370
    Gail Again

Kurt,

I just noticed your title "NC 2013"...check this out...click on Windy City when you get to the site: Copy and Paste and see if that is helpful.

http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/wcmc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120

Gail

• March 25, 2016 9:48 AM
    Reply # 3905128 on 3904370
    Gail Once Again

Kurt,

The Instant repair Kit mite be a better deal.  The donut tire in your trunk would take up much luggage space if you were on a long trip.

Check out this video I found. Looks like a cool way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ega03Kza6SY

Gail

• March 25, 2016 10:22 AM
    Reply # 3905157 on 3904370
    Kurt
    2013 sport  16" tires.  
  • April 04, 2016 8:59 PM
    Reply # 3929000 on 3904370

I bought a spare tire and scissor jack for my MX-5 when I got it ~4 years ago.  Anytime I'm going more than an hour from home, I toss it into the trunk.  It's a tight fit, but it fits.  If you Google "mx-5 nc spare" you'll see several threads on it.  I think I picked mine up from eBay from a scrapped Mazda-3 or some such.  Of course, the only downside is that you won't be able to fit the flat into the trunk unless the tire is completely deflated, but worst-case, you leave the flat tire somewhere and come back for it with your "support vehicle" at a later time.  I've never had to use the spare, but I did test-fit it as soon as I received it.  No way I was going to lug around 30+ pounds of weight if it wouldn't do the job.  I also carry a tire repair kit which I actually used once when the car was at home (the plug kind), and surprisingly it actually sealed a nail puncture for at least 2-3 weeks before I could get the car to the shop.

Regards,
    Steve (2006 MX-5)